crossed the border at Villazon, (only 200 meters an hour on our discounted watches, by the time difference that country) did the roles of migration and we went to a Casa de Cambio. The Bolivian peso was best quoted
respect to a time before, now we are paying 1.80 for each peso argentino (later I learned that traded better in a bank installed in this population) and 7 bolivianos per dollar, so we knew would a little more expensive than the first estimate .. I bought
small things I needed for the trip, and at the same place of settled into the pack. My first accident happened when he fell barral iron hand of the seller, which gave me a huge bump on the head, but not hurt me. Then looking for a travel company that I had sug
rido, because Saturdays and Sundays do not run the trains, but the prices we were drawbacks, so we headed to the bus station and managed to board one that came at that time. Previous haggling, we got tickets to Tupiza, a semi-cama bus but no bath, although it did not matter because the trip was relatively short. It was our first intended destination. The road was terrible, dangerous, with many loose stones (although the driver seemed to be aware and very concerned about the problems of the route), they journeyed to a higher speed than is reasonable, but the beautiful scenery made up for these inconveniences.
I was angry as he listened to a young girl to discuss with other tourists and Oruro and Tupiza had nothing worthwhile and advised them to pass by. I thought to myself that every path that goes depends on the eyes and hearts of travelers. Probably the most teen had failed to "see" or find what he wanted, but his attitude could prevent others from enjoying the sheer beauty of some places.
In Villazón had forgotten to buy the pills for altitude sickness and just coming to
Termi nal of Tupiza, my heart was beating, I could not breathe, my legs were loose as intense pain head was installed. Urgently needed to take medicine before they began the rest of the symptoms.
Sara was very helpful because when it is native to a mountainous area, told me to stay quiet (I had no strength to walk, let alone to lift the luggage), was responsible for finding accommodation in a hostel nearby. with hot water, TV in room, 20 Bolivianos a day. The room they gave us, had five beds, so we
das how clean, with windows facing the street (although it was five blocks from the Plaza Principal). I purchased the medication, I took a capsule and the symptoms began to yield. (They are sold freely under the name "sorochepil" and "punacap" per unit)
lunch at 2.30 pm in a small and nice (if somewhat expensive prices then we saw) were pasta specialties, pizzas and vegetarian meals, I chose a big steak cutlet with egg, chips and salad, Sara chose grilled chicken and drank mineral water.
Later we went to quote prices for excursions while we knew the people. We hired Tower Tours, owned by the same company that owns the hotel where it is installed, to make the trip by jeep (actually 4 x 4 vehicles or Land Rover But the call Toyota Jeep) by
around Tupiza. We chose that option because the next day we left for the trip of 4 days for the Salar de Uyuni and we would be tired if they chose another type of ride, but if you have more time and a complete entertainment is the triathlon (part jeep part horse (three-hour ride) and some walking or cycling, and the last (admittedly much cheaper) which makes the whole journey on horseback. Any choice made, including lunch.
Within the same village can walk to the gazebo, where the cross and has a view
wonderful.
Then I hired the tour around Tupiza, was a little sorry, because I imagined that the price paid was excessive, but to see rare and beautiful places like the tunnel El Escondido, La Puerta del Diablo, the incredible scenery of the Gorge del Toro, the rivers where there is still gold, the ways they acquire the stones wear wind, I accepted that the price was little for all that he had had a chance to meet.
Tired and happy we returned to our hotel.
At night we cooked simple
the hostel, ate fruit and drank mates inviting reflection, then learned that left more cheaper to buy prepared meals ready to go. We got turnovers of cheese and onion, humitas en chala (delicious), chicken paprika and chips at bargain prices. Peaches, apples (green or red), avocados, mangoes were to be astonished. We were glad so many lovely things to eat cheaply.
One night, they came with their backpacks five young Argentine friends among them, two of Buenos Aires and three of Patagonia. Journey had been undertaken with the hope of arriving at Machu Picchu.
I gave advice and suggestions, but I chose to be silent when I said the money they had. Just added that the
Travel was expensive and to administer well what they had. Inside I was shaking, but I dared not tell you that they do not reach even to cross the border between Peru and break his illusion. On the other hand thought that perhaps could help a family member, or the passage of time would notice, but not for me to talk more.
We said goodbye to the girls wishing you luck, we had to prepare everything and go to bed early for forwarding to Salar.
The next day, after breakfast (very abundant) in the Hotel La Torre (comprised
coffee with milk, yogurt, orange juice, jam, butter, toast, muffins and fruit) we would leave for forwarding to Salar de Uyuni in four days and three nights all included, the cost was U $ D 143 .- (Feb 2009)
We were told that conditions were very hard trip, but worth the penalty, which at the end of the trip I checked. Our team of fellow
was formed by a pair of Irish engineers, Sarah and Michael, a geography professor English, Tom, the driver Raul, the cook, Margarita and Margarita's grandson, Giovanni was a kid
8 years .
Needless to say that our three European colleagues spoke very little English, Sara and I little English, but with a mixture of ambos idiomas, señas, un diccionario bilingüe y buena disposición, pudimos pasar buenos momentos, durante el tiempo que estuvimos juntos. Nos divertimos, bromeamos y jugamos naipes (con gritos, carcajadas y groserías incluidas)
Estábamos a punto de iniciar la travesía del Salar de Uyuni; nos esperaba un camino de aventuras y experiencias increíbles.
small things I needed for the trip, and at the same place of settled into the pack. My first accident happened when he fell barral iron hand of the seller, which gave me a huge bump on the head, but not hurt me. Then looking for a travel company that I had sug
In Villazón had forgotten to buy the pills for altitude sickness and just coming to
Sara was very helpful because when it is native to a mountainous area, told me to stay quiet (I had no strength to walk, let alone to lift the luggage), was responsible for finding accommodation in a hostel nearby. with hot water, TV in room, 20 Bolivianos a day. The room they gave us, had five beds, so we
lunch at 2.30 pm in a small and nice (if somewhat expensive prices then we saw) were pasta specialties, pizzas and vegetarian meals, I chose a big steak cutlet with egg, chips and salad, Sara chose grilled chicken and drank mineral water.
Later we went to quote prices for excursions while we knew the people. We hired Tower Tours, owned by the same company that owns the hotel where it is installed, to make the trip by jeep (actually 4 x 4 vehicles or Land Rover But the call Toyota Jeep) by
Within the same village can walk to the gazebo, where the cross and has a view
Then I hired the tour around Tupiza, was a little sorry, because I imagined that the price paid was excessive, but to see rare and beautiful places like the tunnel El Escondido, La Puerta del Diablo, the incredible scenery of the Gorge del Toro, the rivers where there is still gold, the ways they acquire the stones wear wind, I accepted that the price was little for all that he had had a chance to meet.
Tired and happy we returned to our hotel.
At night we cooked simple
One night, they came with their backpacks five young Argentine friends among them, two of Buenos Aires and three of Patagonia. Journey had been undertaken with the hope of arriving at Machu Picchu.
I gave advice and suggestions, but I chose to be silent when I said the money they had. Just added that the
We said goodbye to the girls wishing you luck, we had to prepare everything and go to bed early for forwarding to Salar.
The next day, after breakfast (very abundant) in the Hotel La Torre (comprised
We were told that conditions were very hard trip, but worth the penalty, which at the end of the trip I checked. Our team of fellow
was formed by a pair of Irish engineers, Sarah and Michael, a geography professor English, Tom, the driver Raul, the cook, Margarita and Margarita's grandson, Giovanni was a kid
Needless to say that our three European colleagues spoke very little English, Sara and I little English, but with a mixture of ambos idiomas, señas, un diccionario bilingüe y buena disposición, pudimos pasar buenos momentos, durante el tiempo que estuvimos juntos. Nos divertimos, bromeamos y jugamos naipes (con gritos, carcajadas y groserías incluidas)
Estábamos a punto de iniciar la travesía del Salar de Uyuni; nos esperaba un camino de aventuras y experiencias increíbles.
Magui Montero
Fotografías: 1. Sara y yo en Tupiza frente de la terminal de buses. 2-Foracioñ eólica "La Torre". 3-Natural de la zona arreando cabras. 4 y 5- Afuera y dentro del túnel "El escondido"6y 8- Paisaje de la zona. 7- A orillas del río San Juan, al fondo "The Toroyoj." 9 - La Puerta del Diablo. 10 - Valle de los Machos. 11 - Church of Tupiza
0 comments:
Post a Comment