Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Do You Cover Lasagna While Baking

The crossing into Bolivia - From Villazón north by train

At 6.30 I got up and took a hearty breakfast. Should go early to the border, and later abandoned began arriving tourist groups and the wait seemed interminable. I loaded my things, left the hotel and started walking down the streets of La Quiaca toward the border with Bolivia. I took down the avenue that led to the immigration offices in Argentina, before the barrier. Then walk just 200 meters when I listened to the endless comings and goings of people, looked like a long line of industrious ants carrying large bundles on their backs. Evidenced to be locals, by ethnic background and clothing. Crossed the border to either side, almost running, bent by the weight of goods, boxes, etc. Stood there, shocked and distressed. There seemed to be devoted to people who buy things for their consumption or business. I did not know what it was, but I explained that it was cheaper to pay a few coins to load and unload goods on either side, for the delay which meant crossing a transport vehicle. As if they were animals load the back inclined to have something else to survive, as native African carriers (I'd seen in movies), this occurred only at the border between my country and a neighboring country ... hurt, hurt mucho.Saqué some photos, mostly when I perceived his back and hid his face, did not insist and kept going. The first group had already arrived and I placed in a row I had over 50 people. Anyway, to save time, traveled by giving employees the forms to be filled out until we play the turn and it took me no demasiado.Unos hundred feet ahead was Bolivian migration, and Villazón side, where he was to meet similar process. There was chaos, screams and he unsuccessfully tried to organize some officials in the office had no more than twenty-four square feet and struggled to get a hundred people. Yet we received me graciously and vacated by no more than half an hour. Looked at both sides of im hustling amount of money exchange and commercial activity that was three times what he saw argentino.Cambié side money without major problems and started walking. I knew that this street was about twelve blocks the terminal groups and a little beyond the train station. I wanted to know schedule, prices and days of departure of a train to take me to Oruro, if he got passage, but the alternative was to travel by bus, but told me that the routes were poor and much delayed. In front of me walked a few steps with her backpack also a young boy with long hair to his shoulders, beige pants with multiple pockets that I think used as an annex to the backpack. He had first seen in the immigration office and hear him speak I knew I was coming from Buenos Aires.Apuré step, said hello and I said his name was Hernan, already knew this trip because it was the second trip that he did, again Vacation at Salar de Uyuni, where I had a friend. I dij or should know, that was very beautiful and was on his way. I promised that my next trip would be to that destination (which I turned and made a few days) but wanted to get to Macchu Picchu and did not want to deviate. To be aware of this part of the way, I accepted suggestions, we talked a while, share mate and sandwich at the station while waiting for the train and finally started the journey at five in the tarde.Había actually four categories of tickets. He suggested I take the second category (counting from low to high, because I do not remember the name they had), gladly took his advice, because they were somewhat expensive. He feared that the travel conditions were not good but great was my surprise to see the cars and seats in good condition, music, television, air conditioning. You could eat, drink coffee, soda or sandwich sold by the canteen staff, who went through the cars, or opt for dinner or snacks are served in the dining car. I ate a sandwich (rich, well presented and sealed in a transparent box disposable). Later we went to drink beer with Hernán accompanied with some things to nibble on the dining room. We found another group of Argentine tourists we spoke animatedly for a long time, then returned to my seat. Hernán woke me to say goodbye, was about one o'clock, we were getting to Uyuni, I wanted everything to be well and enjoy the trip. I greeted him through the window and the train started again. He had found a friend who had guided and helped me. Expected that any further and further. It was dawn when I began to glimpse the lake Popp. We were approaching Oruro. Magui
Montero
NOTE: Photo 1-Frontera La Quiaca (Arg) / Villazón (Bol) Argentine side. Photo 2-Idem.
Picture 3 - Frontera Villazón (Bol) / La Quiaca (Arg) Bolivian side. Photos 3 and 4 - Lake Popo Bolivia

0 comments:

Post a Comment